Frequently Asked Questions for Scholarship Programs

1. What do I need to send upon arrival?

Upon arrival to the United States you will need to provide your academic advisor with the following documents:

  1. Copy of your passport
  2. Copy of F-1 Student Visa
  3. Copy of I-20
  4. Copy of I-94 Card
  5. Current address (if available), phone number, and email address
  6. Two (2) Passport Photos
  7. A voided check

If the arrival is in Canada, you will need to provide the following:

  1. Copy of your passport
  2. Copy of the university/college acceptance letter
  3. Copy of the Visa and study Permit
  4. Current address (if available), phone number, and email address
  5. Two (2) Passport Photos
  6. A voided check

You can either mail these items to the Embassy of UAE or fax them to 202-243-4422.

2. What do I need to send my advisor at the beginning of the semester? Do I need to send anything at the end?

At the beginning of each semester, you should make sure you have sent your advisor a list of the courses you have registered for, along with the total credit hours. Your tuition invoice cannot be paid without this information, so it is important to make sure you send it as soon as it is available. At the end of the semester, please send your advisor an official transcript of your grades.

3. I tried to register for the next semester’s classes and discovered my account has a “HOLD” on it. What should I do?

The first thing to do when your account has been placed on hold is to find out why. Students can usually ask via phone or in-person at the Bursar’s or Cashier’s Office at their university. Holds may be placed for numerous reasons such as library fines, unpaid parking tickets, or unpaid tuition. If the reason you have a hold is because your tuition has not been paid, you must ask the following: Does the university have a valid financial guarantee for the current billing semester? Has a tuition bill already been mailed to the Embassy? It is your responsibility to remember to check and see when the university needs a new Financial guarantee. Often, they will not bill the Embassy without it. If you need a Financial guarantee letter, please call or email your advisor. Be prepared to provide the mailing address and/or fax number of the office where the letter should be sent.

4. Do I need to waive the health insurance available through my university?

Unless you are studying in Massachusetts (where state law mandates students have university health insurance), you MUST apply for a waiver of the university issued health insurance. Some schools require a waiver every academic year and others need it to be done each semester. Check with your university’s Student Health Office to see what their requirements and deadlines are. You will usually need to fill out a form and provide a copy of your Embassy-issued medical card. If a medical coverage letter is needed, please call or email your advisor to request it. Again, be sure to have the address or fax number of the office available.

5. Who is entitled for the monthly allowance and when do I start receiving it?

  • Monthly Allowances/Salaries are paid to each scholarship student. Please review with your academic advisor if you are entitled to a monthly salary.
  • Monthly Allowances/Salary payments are paid to both undergraduate and graduate students except No-salary students who receive their salary from their employer in the UAE.
  • Monthly Allowances/Salaries are paid from the first month the student arrives in the United States or Canada until the time the student graduates. Upon graduation, the student will receive a 3-month salary allowance as a bonus to help the student return to the UAE. Students will not be paid an allowance for any month prior to the starting date of his/her scholarship.

6. When is the monthly allowance wired to my account?

Monthly Allowances/Salaries are paid on the 26th day of each month. Only summer allowances ( June,July,August) are allowed to be paid in advance. Please note that the Monthly Allowances/Salary will be paid to the student via Electronic Funds Transfer.

7. What do I need to do to get my salary wired to my account?

You will need to open a bank account with a local or convenient bank and provide his/her Academic Advisor with the appropriate bank information to allow for the Electronic Transfer of funds directly in the student’s bank account. This bank information varies depending on whether the bank is a United States or Canadian bank. Please check with your appropriate bank for the required information. You will need to provide your academic advisor with a VOIDED check.

8. When am I entitled for the summer allowance salary?

Students have the option of requesting to receive their summer salaries (June, July, and August) in advance each year. If you would like to have the summer allowances in advance you must send an email to your advisor requesting the month(s) you would like to have issued early.

9. What should I do if I change my contact information?

Notify your Academic Advisor upon any change in address or telephone number. If any correspondence or checks need to be mailed, they will be sent to the last address that was provided to your Academic Advisor.

10. Will my monthly alloance change if I decide to reside at the dormitory or take a meal plan?

Monthly Allowances/Salary amounts may vary each semester depending on the student's living environment and his/her place of study. If the Cultural Division pays the student's dormitory charges, the student is eligible for only 75% of his/her salary. If the Cultural Division pays both the student's dormitory and meal charges, the student is eligible for only 50% of his/her salary.

11. How can I receive my airline ticket?

  • Annual round trip ticket issue from the Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research.
  • New students who arrive in Washington, DC – The Cultural Division issues a connecting ticket to the city of study and also when he returns to the UAE in the summer vacation once during the scholarship.
  • Roundtrip airline ticket from place of study to conference/research area from place of study to conference/research area one-time during scholarship and requires pre-approval from the Ministiry of Higher Education & Scientific Resarch.

12. I have submitted a request to attend a conference. How long will it be before I know if it has been approved? (For UAE University scholars ONLY)

Any request submitted to the UAE University generally takes a minimum of 45 days to process. The waiting time may be longer during summer or other holidays. Please submit your requests as far in advance as possible to allow sufficient time for processing. Once the approval is received at the University Office in Washington, you will be notified immediately via phone or email.

13. How many credit hours by Non-Traditional courses are allowed during the Undergraduate/Graduate studies?

Undergraduate students can take a total of 12 credit hours by Non-Traditional Courses, and Graduate students can take a total of 6 credit hours at the Masters level and 9 credit hours at the Doctorate level by Non-Traditional courses, only if the following conditions are met:

1. All online, correspondence, learning by distance, and independent studies courses must be approved by the Cultural Division before the student enrolls in the course.

2. Students must provide the Cultural Division with a letter from his/her home university describing the courses in detail.

3. Online, correspondence, and learning by distance courses must be completed at an approved university. Independent Studies courses must be completed at the home university.

Newsletter Sign Up

Area(s) of Interest