Last July, the United Arab Emirates became the first Arab nation to launch a mission to Mars. The Emirates Mars Mission’s Hope probe is on schedule to enter into orbit around the “Red Planet” on February 9, making the UAE just the fifth country in history to reach Mars.
The probe, which was built in collaboration with US partners, will collect and transmit data on the planet’s atmospheric dynamics and climate cycles. The UAE’s Hope probe will be the first of three spacecraft to reach Mars in February, with NASA’s Perseverance rover and China’s Tianwen-1 orbiter following later in the month.
Looking ahead to this significant milestone, several partners and other organizations are planning to provide substantive updates on the progress of the Hope probe’s voyage and put the Emirates Mars Mission in the context of regional and global developments.
Refer to the following summary of upcoming briefings, webinars, and other events that may be of interest.
Calendar of Upcoming Events
- February 1 | US-UAE Business Council Webinar: A Conversation with Her Excellency Sarah Al Amiri
- On February 1 at 9 AM ET, the US-UAE Business Council will host Her Excellency Sarah Al Amiri, UAE Minister of State for Advanced Technology, for a conversation about the UAE-US scientific partnerships that enabled the launch of the Emirates Mars Mission. The conversation will be moderated by Mat Kaplan, host and producer of The Planetary Society's public radio and podcast series, Planetary Radio.
- Attendees may submit questions in advance of the webinar by contacting Ameer Alsamman at email@example.com.
- February 9 | Mars Orbit Insertion Live Coverage
- On February 9 at 10:30 AM ET, the UAE Space Agency will provide live coverage of the Hope probe’s arrival at Mars. Coverage will be broadcast via Dubai TV and streamed online.
- Follow along by visiting www.emiratesmarsmission.ae.
- February 13-14 | The Planetary Society’s Planetfest
- The Planetary Society will host a “virtual festival designed for space enthusiasts, with panels, workshops, and social activities featuring world-class experts and luminaries of planetary exploration.” UAE officials are expected to participate.
- See here to learn more and register: https://www.planetary.org/planetfest21
- February 16 | The Hill’s “Arab Youth and the Space Race” Virtual Event
- On February 16 at 1 PM ET, as part of an ongoing series about the aspirations of Arab youth, The Hill will convene a virtual event examining how the Emirates Mars Mission is empowering a new generation of scientists and engineers across the Middle East.
- Please keep an eye on thehill.com/events for details on how to register.